Making the Most of your Business Travel

Making the Most of your Business Travel
I'm not a person who loves to travel. Perhaps I should clarify that - I don't like the process of travel although I do often enjoy the destination. When the travel is for business purposes, that inconvenience factor associated with the travel increases. Because it's business, these trips may interfere with your personal life which also makes the imposition of the travel greater. But there are ways to plan for a better experience.


What makes business travel such a pain? The first thing I think of when I think of business travel is "airports". They certainly are not my favorite place to be with lines, crowds, and delays. But you can make the airport experience a bit better if you use the technology that's available to you. Some airlines provide electronic kiosks where you can check in and get your boarding pass instead of waiting in the long line for baggage check.

As far as packing light, this is a skill set that just about anyone can develop. I used to pack heavy and bring all my cosmetics, shampoos and even hair dryer and a couple outfits to boot. Now I chuck most of that. I keep a few sample sized items that fit nicely into a baggy. I have one small overnight bag I've learned to pack carefully. I also carry an oversized bag that holds my PC, my purse and a few other essentials. And then I'm a walk on - no bags to check - no bags to potentially lose.

When you are traveling to a new location you've not been before, be sure to map out as much of the locale as you can before you leave. Once you arrive at the airport be sure to flag down one of the attendants that help waive down cabs and ask them what you should expect in terms of cap fare.

When you travel work in a little personal enjoyment. Ask the hotel help about good restaurants nearby to your hotel. If you are in a foreign land, sample some of the local cuisine. Even in more mundane locations, someone who lives locally may be willing to go to dinner with you and they'll likely know where the great local restaurants are.

And don't forget the opportunity for a play or taking in some local attraction. Often I can find loads to do just by using Google. But don't overlook the human factor - ask the desk help at your hotel or ask local employees of the business you are visiting to make recommendations.

Resist the tendency to just look at the 'negatives' of business travel. Instead look at your off time to enjoy the local and the folks you've come to visit. You may be surprised at how much a little personal time together helps your business grow.

Post a Comment

0 Comments